9 Ways To Fix A Blocked Shower Drain
Emergency Call - 24/7
A blocked shower drain is a type of blocked drain which can be resolved in simple steps. Knowing exactly what to do can help fix the plumbing problem with the drainage system. Optimised Plumbing Services offers help with blocked drains, including shower drains. With over 20 years of experience, we know the best ways a person can quickly fix a blocked shower drain.
The most effective ways to fix a blocked shower drain include:
- Using Boiling Water
- Utilising a Plunger
- Mixing Baking Soda with Vinegar
- Mixing Salt and Baking Soda
- Grab the Clog by Hand
- Using a Hook
- Using a Plumber’s Snake Tool
- Utilising Chemical Products/ Corrosive Cleaners
- Contacting a Professional Plumber
1. Using Boiling Water
Simply pouring hot water down a drain can help resolve blocked drain issues. The method is not the most effective but can weaken the contents for making other steps more effective.
- Boil water
- Pour the water which has boiled into the shower drain
- When pouring boiling water it is advised to use a funnel to ensure the hot water does not go anywhere else
2. Utilising a Plunger
If the contents of the blocked drain are closer to the surface then a plunger can be useful. Similarly to hot water, this method might not be the most effective methods for removing clogs.
- Apply petroleum jelly around the edges of the plunger’s suction seal
- The plunger should be submerged in water within the shower
- Use the plunging technique and movement
3. Mixing Baking Soda with Vinegar
Using these materials, this methods is if using chemicals is unwanted. The natural solution is better for the environment and plastic pipes, but might not be as powerful than chemical products.
- With a cup of baking soda pour it down the drain
- After a few minutes pour a cup of vinegar into the drain
- After a couple of hours have passed look to see if hair and other contents have dissolved
- Pour boiling water into the drain to clean it
4. Mixing Salt and Baking Soda
Instead of using vinegar, salt can be used to try and fix a blocked shower drain. If this method does not work, then resorting to chemicals might be more effective.
- Mix half a cup of baking soda with half a cup of salt
- Pour the contents down the drain and leave for 10-20 minutes
- To clean the drain, pour boiling water after the solution has been sitting in the drain
5. Grab the Clog by Hand
At times, pulling the blockage out of the drain by hand is the most efficient and easy method. Depending on if the contents are within reach, such as s hair clog, this method can save time, money and resources. However, if it is a chemical build-up, such as from grease and soap, then this method will not be useful.
- Wearing a glove, remove the drain cover
- Locate the clog, use a flashlight is needed, and pull the contents out
6. Using a Hook
When deciding to pull out blockages by hand but it is out of reach a hook can be useful. A simple wire can be utilised and shaped in a hook shape to pull the contents out. Also, like the hand method, chemical blockages will not be unblocked by a hook.
- Have the wire with a hook shape at the end and scoop out the contents
7. Using a Plumber’s Snake Tool
For unblocking a drain, a plumber’s snake can be used and is an affordable tool. Blockages can be easily removed with this tool and the method has a high succession rate. Though if tree roots may be causing the issue then this tool will no be effective. Sometimes a clog might not need this specific tool, therefore, there might be more time spent on removing the blockage.
- Push the tool down into the shower drain until the clog has been reached
- Bring the tool back up by turning the snake’s handle
- To test that the clog has been removed, pour water down into the drain
8. Utilising Chemical Products/ Corrosive Cleaners
Chemical products, or corrosive cleaners, can be bought from stores and used to dissolve blockages. These methods are effective in fixing a blocked shower drain but should not be used frequently. The chemicals can cause damages to the drainage but the method is easy, quick and affordable.
- Make sure to follow the directions on the specific corrosive cleaner purchased and not use too much
- Wearing gloves and goggles pour the chemicals down the drain
- Make sure to also not mix different chemicals together as this can be poisonous
9. Contacting a Professional Plumber
When these methods have been used or if the problem is more serious then a professional plumber should be contacted. If needed, the certified plumber can use CCTV drain cameras to discover what exactly is blocking the drain. The plumbers will understand all the rules and regulations also involved with drainage systems, therefore, work effectively.
Plumbers who are specialists with blocked drains will know how to remove all types of blockages. From soap scum, hair, tree roots, material build-up to dirt, a blocked shower drain will be properly dealt with.
Expert Blocked Drain Specialists
When it is time to call a plumber Optimised Plumbing Services is here as a blocked drain Sydney specialist. We understand all there is about blocked drains and can easily apply the best methods and techniques. Our Sydney plumbers can also work in any place, including all residential and commercial buildings.
As mentioned, we can unblock all shower drains anywhere in Sydney, including in the Northern Beaches and South Sydney. Additionally, we highly recommended reading our blog ‘5 ways to clean a drain in 10 minutes’ as it is important to clean a drain properly after unblocking it.
No matter where we work we promise to provide exceptional blocked shower drain support – contact Optimised Plumbing Services on 0411 217 174 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We also offer Emergency Plumber services which we promise to be there at any time to help with any job.