Do Liquid Detergents Clog Pipes?
Emergency Call - 24/7
Liquid detergent blocked drains can occur within washing machines or dishwashers. Most times liquid detergent clog pipes when the incorrect amount is used or when other types of cleaning products are mixed in with them. Kitchen and laundry detergents clog pipes when the least expected but there are easy ways to prevent and resolve this problem. Here at Optimised Plumbing Services, our Blocked Drain plumbers will resolve any liquid detergent blocked drains in Sydney.
The main way that liquid detergents clog pipes is when too much is added leading to soap scum drain blockages. Liquid detergents are preferred over powder detergents as they are less likely to cause blocked drains. But when liquid detergents blocked drains occur the recommended way to resolve soap buildup is by contacting a professional plumber.
The best steps with installing and replacing a kitchen sink are:
- Measure the existing sink size and purchase a sink of the same size
- Turn off the water supply lines to the sink
- Remove the old sink and disconnect the supply lines
- Install the new sink, including the clips, strainer, gaskets, fixtures and connecting the supply lines
Can Liquid Detergents Clog Pipes?
Liquid detergents can create blocked drains but it is not as common as other types of blockages. The clogged drain will often occur from limescale and soap scum buildup as a result of the liquid detergent. Each liquid detergent is different depending on the brand and type but using them incorrectly can lead to blocked sinks and washing machines.
Using liquid detergents will most times not cause a blocked drain but using it alongside other detergents can create clogs:
- Powdered detergents – when powder detergents are used excessively, and with liquid detergents, then the risk of clogs increases.
- High-bleach detergents – mixing liquid and bleach detergents can mean that the sewer system can corrode when used in higher amounts.
- Commercial clog remover – it is important that these types of clog removers are not used in washing machines and dishwashers. When needing to unclog these appliances specialised blockage liquids are needed.
Will Using Too Much Liquid Detergent Clog Pipes?
Using the incorrect amount of detergent can over time lead to the drain pipes being blocked. Using too much detergent can lead to the rinse cycle or washup to not correctly remove all the detergent. The detergent will not be able to leave the drainage system properly and cause it to stay within the pipes. Having too much detergent in the washing machine or sink can also cause the dishes and clothes to feel grimy.
How Can I Get Rid of Liquid Detergent Blocked Drains?
Liquid detergent will often block drains in the form of limescale and soap buildup. The best ways to remove this type of blockage are:
- Hot Water – pouring boiling water down the sink can be a good start to try and remove the detergent blockage from the drain.
- Vinegar – Depending on the capacity of the machine, using 2 – 4 cups of vinegar to deal with the washing machine blockage can help to clear the clog. The vinegar should be used with a general empty cycle for it to dissolve the detergent, soap and limescale buildup.
- Baking Soda and Vinegar – for laundry and kitchen sink mixing baking soda with vinegar can help clear the clog. A quarter of a cup and baking soda and one cup of vinegar should be poured into the sink drain. Cover the top of the drain and let the solution mix for 20 minutes then run warm water down the drain to hopefully clear the blockage.
- Specialised Cleaners – for dishwashers and washing machines a specialised drain blockage removal solution from the shops should be used. This is to ensure the system is not damaged by other chemical cleaners.
How Can I Prevent Liquid Detergent Blocked Drains?
To ensure liquid detergent does not block laundry or kitchen sinks, dishwashers and washing machines there are methods to prevent these:
- Make sure to use the correct amount of detergent when using the washing machine and dishwasher. Read the manufacturer’s instructions and also know where the maximum level of detergent point is for when pouring it into the appliance. By using the correct levels of detergent it will greatly decrease the chance of the liquid detergent clogging the drain.
- Switching to liquid over powdered detergent can help with decreasing the chance of a clog.
- Once a month pouring vinegar into the washing machine and performing an empty cycle can help prevent large scale blockages from forming.
- Once a month instead of vinegar pouring more effective specialised blocked drain products for the sink, washing machine and dishwasher can help as well in preventing blockages.
Professional Services With Clearing Liquid Detergent Blocked Drains
Optimised Plumbing Services is here with liquid detergent clog drains in any property within Sydney. Our fully qualified plumbers will use the best techniques to accurately and effectively deal with these types of blockages. We will make sure that the liquid detergent blocked drain is removed in the shortest time possible. Using safety measures and efficient tests, we are guaranteed to complete the blockage removal service as soon as possible.
Our plumbers will help with clearing liquid detergent and all other blockages throughout all of Sydney, including Hills District and Sutherland Shire. We also offer Emergency Plumber services for us to perform any plumbing task at all times of the day.
For professional help with liquid detergent blocked drains – rely on Optimised Plumbing Services!