How To Unclog Your Showerhead?
Emergency Call - 24/7
A clogged shower head is an issue which can be easily resolved and also prevented. This Blocked Drain issue is usually caused when limescale and mineral buildup blocks water from travelling through the shower head. To have a clogged showerhead fixed fast, Optimised Plumbing Services is here to help. Our plumbers can work in all areas to fix the clogged shower head and also provide advice as well.
To resolve a clogged shower head problem, follow these simple steps:
- Place a plastic bag over the shower head
- Mix ⅓ of a cup of baking soda with 1 cup of white vinegar to have them react
- Have the bag with the solutions over the shower head overnight
- Remove the bag and rinse the solution from the shower head
Unclogging the Shower Head
A blocked shower head can slow down the water pressure of the shower. If the blockage is denser, a large amount of mineral deposits can prevent water flow from the shower head. It is simple to clear blockages from the shower head when using the correct tools and techniques. Also, non toxic cleaning solutions and methods can be applied which will effectively clear and clean a clogged fixture.
Materials and Tools
The items used to unclog the shower head are simple and can be easily purchased from the hardware store:
- Plastic or rubbish bag (bag which is both strong and large enough to go around the shower head)
- White Vinegar
- Baking Soda
- Rubber Band
Make sure to always operate safely and wash away any solutions if they have made contact with skin, clothes and alike.
- With the plastic or rubbish bag, place it within the sink where the chance of mess will not cause dilemmas
- In the plastic or rubbish bag pour ⅓ cup of baking soda with 1 cup of the white vinegar. The solution should start bubbling or fizzing up and will react on its own
- Place the bag with the solution over the shower head and ensure the head is completely within the solution. Tighten the plastic bag around the shower head with a rubber band to seal it off. The solution will start to eat away at the clog
- Soak the shower head by leaving the solution, bag and shower head overnight for the best result
- Once finished, pour the solution down the drain and wipe down the shower head. Turn the shower on and wait one minute before using it again
If needed, a toothpick, needle or similar object can be used to poke the shower head. This can clear the passageways if there is mineral build up which can be removed easily.
Cleaning the Shower Head
It is important to clean the shower head regularly and especially after clearing it of a clog. Performing regular maintenance and cleaning tasks will ensure blockages are prevented.
Materials and Tools
These items to regularly clean the shower head are easily obtainable from hardware stores and are cheap to purchase:
- Old Toothbrush
- Baking Soda
- Plumbing Tape
Try to not scratch, damage or break the shower head when cleaning it. It is important to keep the room well ventilated and ensure to clean any solution from skin or other surfaces.
- Remove the shower head carefully by using a wrench. To do this, unscrew the nut which is located at the shower arm and try to not damage the fixture
- Under a tap or faucet run a sharp blast of water through the showerhead
- With an old toothbrush and vinegar scrub the top and all other parts of the shower head
- Using a toothpick, or similar object, remove all small debris from the deposits
- Overnight soak the showerhead with baking soda and vinegar and rinse the solution off after
- Reassemble the shower head by utilising plumbing tape and applying it over the shower arm. This will provide a strong seal and then reattach the shower head with the wrench
Tips with Cleaning the Shower Head
It is a good and beneficial habit to clean the shower head every month. This is to prevent bacteria growth within the shower head which can cause issues. Additionally, the water pressure will be steady as the water can flow properly and not be blocked by debris. Here are some general tips as well when it comes to cleaning your clogged shower head:
- Do not use bleach during cleaning the shower head or clearing it of blockages. This is because bleach will promote harmful bacteria growth within and on the shower head. Additionally, the bleach might ruin the shower head if it is made of materials which do not like the solution
- When cleaning the shower head using a toothbrush or any other brush, avoid using bristle brushes. This is because if the shower has a protected or chrome metal finish it might scratch or remove it
- Ensure to work in a well-ventilated space, especially when the solutions are made. Even when the solution sits overnight to make certain the room is properly ventilated. All materials, including vinegar, baking soda and commercial cleaning products, should be handled safely. As people react differently to the fumes, it is needed to ventilate the room by opening windows or keeping the ventilation fan running
If experiencing a blocked shower drain, read our blog for steps on how to remove the clog from shower drains.
Blocked Shower Head Plumbers
Optimised Plumbing Services is here for all of Sydney with professional help with clogged shower drain issues. Our fully qualified blocked drain specialists are the best for efficiently removing clogs from drains. This includes shower heads where we know the best ways to remove the clog from the fixture. Arriving on time, we are the most reliable at fixing a clogged shower head problem.
Our Emergency Plumber team ensures we arrive fast to help any person of their plumbing dilemmas, including clogged shower heads. We will unblock shower heads in all areas of Sydney, including the Northern Beaches and Eastern Suburbs.