Carbon monoxide testing is an important service to consider when it is suspected a gas leak is present. Using gas appliances, such as hot water systems or gas heaters, means that the chance of carbon monoxide leakage is there. To ensure carbon monoxide leaking and potential poisoning is not occurring, hire a licensed gas fitter. Here at Optimised Plumbing Services, our gas plumbers will perform carbon monoxide testing for all Sydney locals.
Carbon monoxide testing involves a qualified gas plumber using carbon monoxide detectors to look for carbon monoxide spillage. It involves performing safety measures, testing for a negative pressure environment, testing for the carbon monoxide leak and determining how to resolve the issue. Carbon monoxide spillage testing is important to ensure that gas does not interfere with people’s health if not addressed.
What are Some Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?
Carbon monoxide is considered a silent killer as it is both odourless and colourless. This means that unless a detector is in place, knowing if there is a leak will only happen when people start to feel sick. To know if carbon monoxide has leaked into the home there are certain symptoms to look out for:
- Having headaches or dull headaches
- Experiencing dizziness, shortness of breath or confusion
- Vision is blurred
- Being overall weaker than usual
- Feeling like community or nauseous
- Loss of consciousness
What is the Process of Carbon Monoxide Testing?
There are four main phases involved in carbon monoxide testing to ensure if there is a leak it can be detected and repaired. The gas fitting plumber will perform the testing method following the correct standards and safety procedures.
- Gas connection is closed off and systems are cold to ensure the workers are safe
- The windows and doors are closed and also the extraction fans are switched off
- Checks are made to ensure the weather does not interfere with the carbon monoxide testing
Negative Pressure Environment Test
- Once safety checks have been completed and the environment is set, achieving a negative pressure area is next
- Smoke will be made near the appliances to see if it blows away from the appliance
- If the smoke moves away from the appliance then negative pressure is there and this will have to be addressed
Carbon Monoxide Test
- Once it has been decided that negative pressure is present, testing to see if carbon monoxide is there is next
- The detection equipment specific to detecting carbon monoxide will be used and switched on and the reading of the appliance when it is not on will be kept
- The extraction fans will be switched on and a reading will be done of the carbon monoxide levels when the appliance is in use
Determining the Outcomes
If there is no carbon monoxide spillage then what caused the negative pressure will be addressed and repaired. If there is carbon monoxide spillage then the plumber will have to locate where it is leaking from. Performing repairs will be needed and when they are done carrying out more tests to guarantee the gas does not leak needs to be checked.
Central Heating Units or Gas Hot Water Systems
When testing gas lines and the heating and hot water systems that are outside and use LPG or natural gas covers will need to be put up. This is to ensure that the leak can be properly tested without wind and other elements interfering with the result. If there is a leak then repairing the system is needed to replace it may be more affordable if the system is older.
How Can I Prevent Carbon Monoxide Leaks?
Battery operated carbon monoxide detectors are a great way to ensure leaks can be found early. Regular plumbing inspections and gas appliance servicing performed by qualified plumbers will also ensure that the gas appliances are checked for any faults that could lead to leakages. Also looking to ensure the gas appliances are ventilated correctly, have optimal gas pressure and are set on the correct settings is also important.
What Do I Do If I Suspect a Carbon Monoxide Leak?
Optimised Plumbing Services is here to perform carbon monoxide testing service and repair. Each fully qualified plumber will have the carbon monoxide service completed on time and safely. We utilise the best tools and techniques to resolve the issue fast and ensure the gas leak does not harm people.
Our carbon monoxide and other gas fitting services are here for all of Sydney, including South Sydney and North Shore. We are also expert Blocked Drain specialists where we will expertly deal with blockages inside any plumbing system.
For reliable and effective carbon monoxide testing and repair services – contact Optimised Plumbing Services!