CARBON MONOXIDE TESTING
Request A Callback!
Enquire Below & our Sydney Plumbers will get back to you within 30 Minutes or Less!
What Is Carbon Monoxide?
Carbon monoxide poisoning can be a serious threat within Australian households and commercial spaces which use gas-powered appliances and systems. The good news however is that it can be easily prevented by having proper ventilation installed and a properly fueled heater. Working with a professional plumber who regularly specialises in gas-fueled appliances and system installation is a sure safeguard in preventing carbon monoxide poisoning.
Here at Optimised Plumbing Services, we have fully qualified and accredited gas fitters who can help prevent and deal with the threats of carbon monoxide seeping throughout your property. Our entire team has met and regularly uphold the requirements set by NSW Fair Trading under The Plumbing Code of Australia to safely install and repair gas-powered appliances and systems to our customers throughout all of Sydney.
How is Carbon Monoxide Produced?
Carbon monoxide is an odourless, colourless gas produced from the incomplete combustion of fuels. Most of the time, carbon monoxide is harmless, as long as there is plenty of oxygen to balance the carbon particles. For example, carbon monoxide as a product of a bonfire cannot cause poisoning. Ideally, carbon monoxide concentrations inside the house or commercial space should be at the same concentration as the level outside. It is also worthy to be reminded that concentrations of carbon monoxide are usually higher in urban areas while it is significantly lower in rural communities.
If there is a high concentration of carbon monoxide, several serious threats can arise. Given it has no odour, taste or colour, it is not easy for an untrained person to determine its presence. Carbon monoxide poisoning is the most common side-effect of high carbon monoxide concentrations.
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning: What Happens & Where Does It Come From?
Your body can only process a certain amount of vitamins, minerals and gases before they suffer from poisoning. Carbon monoxide poisoning happens when there is an abundance of carbon monoxide in the bloodstream. These carbon monoxides replace the oxygen in the red blood cells and can result in serious tissue damage and death.
Several factors contribute to carbon monoxide poisoning at home and in commercial buildings. The common sources of carbon monoxide in residential and commercial properties include the following:
- Hot water systems
- Clothes dryers
- Furnaces or dryers
- Gas stoves and ovens
- Wood stoves
- Tobacco smoke
- Grills, generators, power tools
- Motor vehicles
How to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning From Happening?
Due to the threat of these appliances, regular maintenance by an experienced gas fitter is a must. Aside from frequent visits from a trusted gas fitter, homeowners and businesses can also do the following to prevent high levels of carbon monoxide in their property:
- Ensure proper ventilation – Having the correct ventilation significantly reduces the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. It is best to install proper ventilation in places where fuel-burning appliances and other gas-powered systems are situated.
- Know the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning – Serious consequences caused by carbon monoxide poisoning are best prevented when you know its symptoms. Poisoning due to this gas usually presents with flu-like symptoms. The following are common signs of carbon monoxide poisoning:
- Dull headache
- Nausea or vomiting
- Shortness of breath
- Blurred vision
- Loss of consciousness
- Install carbon monoxide alarms – Like smoke alarms, there is also a device that could warn of a possible high concentration of carbon monoxide. These alarms should be installed in places where gas-fueled appliances are located.
How Can I Detect Carbon Monoxide?
An expert in gas fitting plumber can help determine the carbon monoxide presence in any property. Homeowners and business owners should also know the early warning signs of high carbon monoxide concentrations. This problem is usually a result of poorly maintained gas-fueled appliances, thus the appearance of these common signs:
- Excessive moisture and condensation on cold surfaces, walls and windows
- Rusting on flue pipes or appliance jacks
- Orange or yellow flames in combustion appliances
- Damaged or discoloured bricks at the top of the chimney
- No upward draft in chimney flue
- Stale-smelling air
When these signs show up, the next best step is to contact an emergency plumber with experience and training in gas fitting. These professionals can help confirm if these are indicators of carbon monoxide leak and what is the next best step to do.
Carbon Monoxide Detector Services Sydney
Here at Optimised Plumbing Services, our team offers expert gas fitting installation and maintenance services designed to keep everyone at home or in a commercial space safe from carbon monoxide poisoning. We have more than 20 plus years experience and knowledge to determine where there could be higher concentrations of carbon monoxide and how to best prevent them. Installing a preventive alarm system helps to keep poisoning at bay.
Electrochemical sensor carbon monoxide detectors are designed to warn homeowners and business owners when carbon monoxide reaches a specific level of concentration and periods. These devices are pre-calibrated but also need maintenance, including cleaning the outside case and ensuring the openings of the front case are clean. It is also best to be wary of factors that impact these alarms’ performance, which include:
- Excessive spillage or reverse feing of gas appliances due to:
- Extended use of fuelless gas appliances
- Heavy air in the flue
- Negative pressure differentials within a room due to the use of exhaust fans
- Simultaneous use of several gas appliances without proper ventilation
- Wind, including high gusts of wind
- Other equipment producing carbon monoxide like an idle vehicle in the garage
Sydney’s Trusted, Licenced & Qualified Gas Fitters
Our passionate team of gas fitters are Sydney locals preferred experts when it comes to the maintenance of gas-fueled appliances and systems. At Optimised Plumbing Services, every emergency plumber within our team has completed the necessary training and qualifications established by NSW Fair Trading under the Gas and Electricity (Consumer Safety) Regulation 2018. With our combined experience and skills, we can keep carbon monoxide out of any property. Contact Optimised Plumbing Services now to have Sydney’s expert gas fitters on your front door today!
Contact Our Friendly & Experienced Team