Roof Leaks - Everything You Need To Know 2020
Emergency Call - 24/7
When experiencing roof leaks they can be from multiple different reasons and can lead to some unwanted issues. Often from unexpected origins, roof leaks can occur at any time and should be handled with as soon as possible. The expert plumbers here at Optimised Plumbing Services have been resolving roof leakages for over 20 years across Sydney. Likewise, our Emergency Plumber team are available 24/7 to help with roof leaks of all kinds.
Roof leaks are often noticed after it has rained and when water leaks from the roof into the building. Old or damaged roofs, skylights, chimneys, plumbing and roof flashing may be the cause of the leakages. Also, structural damage, safety hazards, increased bills and other problems can quickly arise from roof leaks.
Causes of Roof Leaks
There are many different reasons why a roof might leak and cause water to enter the building. Here are the more common reasons why roof will leak water:
- Old and Damaged Roofs – the older the roof becomes the higher chance that it will begin to function incorrectly. Materials and methods for constructing a roof have changed throughout time, specifically with the shingles. Older materials and techniques may begin to determine/ break away or not hold for a long amount of time. Cracks and holes may begin to form and then this can lead to water leaking through.
- Faulty Skylights – if the skylight has been installed incorrectly then issues with leaks can occur more easily. Additionally, older skylights might begin to fail and take damages leading to other complications which might cause leaking.
- Chimneys – even though chimneys have ways to block out water there can still be a chance that water leaks through. Additionally, water can also seep through other cracks and areas within the chimney if possible.
- Plumbing Problems – if issues arise with plumbing within the roof then the chance for leakages increases. Holes or other issues with more commonly the attic vents, plumbing vent pipes, gutters and more can have water leaking through.
- Roof Flashing – when the part of the roof which covers all the seams and transition points become damaged then water can come through. Roof flashing is important but when it is corroded, damaged or poorly installed then problems can arise.
With many issues potentially causing the roof to leak it is important to have maintenance on the roof and plumbing. It might not seem important, however, the long term benefits are great with it potentially preventing future damage costs.
Potential Dangers with Roof Leaks
Leaks can be small or huge which can lead to some potentially dangerous and also unwanted outcomes. Here are some dangers which can arise if leaking roofs are not dealt with:
- Structural Damage – leaks can lead to damages on ceiling joists, rafters, wall framing, exterior trims and fascia boards. Moreover, wood can become weakened and other structural components of the home can become deteriorated. Repairs are costly as there can be major damage because water can seriously harm to these structures.
- Ceiling and Attic Damage – if an attic is present the area and possible items stored there can become damaged. Furthermore, the interior ceiling may become ruined with paint darkening and plaster bubbling, likewise, these can happen with the walls. Additionally, the chance of ceiling lights and fans being in contact with water can be seriously risky.
- Mould and Mildew – if the problem of leaking water is left for a long amount of time, mould and mildew may begin to appear. This can spread across the home, including the walls, air conditioner, vents and so on which is never good. Mould and mildew can be difficult to remove, as well as costly and cause health risks.
- Fire Hazards – when the water leaks onto wiring, lights and ceiling fans then an electrical fire can occur.
- Slip Hazards – puddles forming on the floor can be an issue with people falling over. The puddle may be unexpected then from not knowing the water was there people can slip.
- Bill Increases – with water repairs needed they can be costly especially if there is a lot of damage. Water intrusion can affect insulation, structural damage issues, mould and other problems will add up and cost a lot.
It is important that if identifying that water is leaking from the roof that having a professional plumber fix the issues. As problems can escalate fast, holding off the leaking roof repair will only be more expensive. Additionally, the home can become seriously damaged if water begins to leak everywhere and ruin the structure. Also, the presence of mould and mildew can lead to serious health risks, such as breathing issues, therefore leaking roofs should be dealt with immediately.
If a plumber is needed to help repair a leaking roof they should know all there is about roof plumbing. A qualified plumber will know where the problem is then apply the best methods to have the leaking issue stop. Also, id curious to know other types of plumbing issues, read our blog with overviews on common types of plumbing emergencies.
Professional and Reliable Plumbers for Leaking Roofs
For all of Sydney, Optimised Plumbing Services can work in all areas to help with leaking roofs. Our licensed plumbers will have issues with plumbing causing leaking roofs resolved within no time. Additionally, we can work on both residential and commercial plumbing, meaning we can stop leaking roofs in all buildings.
Our roof leaking repair comes with our emergency plumbers available 24/7 to help with the issue. Likewise, we can work across all of Sydney, including the Hills District, North Shore and South Western Sydney. We also offer all of Sydney with our Blocked Drain services which come with our professionals ensuring all blockages are correctly and skillfully removed.
For all cases of a leaking roof in Sydney – contact Optimised Plumbing Services on 0411 217 174 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make sure to be there on time, work efficiently and have all leaking roof issues resolved quickly.