Why Does My Hot Water Run Out So Fast?
Hot water is produced only in limited quantities and could run out fast when not properly used, especially during cold months. Or when more people demand hot water. But there are secrets to extending the lifespan of hot water in the water tank. At Optimised Plumbing Services, we have years of experience helping homeowners decide which hot water system best suits their needs. Our team can help homeowners determine ways to prolong hot water in the tank, as well as keep the water heater at its tip-top shape 365 days a year.
Reasons Why Hot Water Runs Out Fast
Many factors dictate why hot water runs out too fast in a property. Each of these factors can affect if hot water will be available when taking a morning shower. It could also guarantee a continuous flow of water when doing laundry or taking a shower. The following factors commonly impact the life of hot water in the tank:
- Family size – The number of people in a property determines the size and type of water heater perfect for a household. These individuals also have different needs for hot water. Those factors also need to be considered to have the correct hot water system at home.
- Demand – Like previously mentioned, demand for hot water is also crucial in determining the perfect hot water system or how to prolong hot water in the tank. This factor should include whether hot water will be used in the laundry or a dishwasher.
- Wrong temperature setting – The temperature for hot water systems should be set between 120 to 140 degrees. It is not recommended to have the temperature go beyond these recommended settings. While many may think it could give them hot water for hours, it could cause the tank to burst or get faulty.
- Broken dip tube – The dip tube is a plastic rod attached to the water heater’s cold water inlet and extends down to the bottom of the tank. This component is responsible for bringing water near the burner, where it will be heated.
- Sediment buildup – Water is rich in minerals. Due to this abundance, it is not surprising that some water heaters are significantly affected by sediment buildup. As the hot water system ages, sediment buildup becomes more frequent. This issue significantly contributes to how long hot water will last in the tank.
How Long Should Hot Water Last?
Hot water in the tank can only last for a couple of minutes before being reheated. Several things contribute to the lifespan of hot water. Insulation, the outside temperature and tank capacity are some of these factors. On average, hot water in a water heater’s tank can stay warm for about 30 to 40 minutes for a 40-gallon tank. The good news is that there are several ways to make hot water last longer.
Ways to Make Hot Water Last Longer?
While hot water does get cold after a few minutes, there are ways to get around this dilemma. Homeowners can follow several tricks to prolong the hot water in their tanks. Here are some tips from our hot water plumbers to make hot water last longer:
- Check water heater settings – Water heaters should be set between 120 and 140 degrees. Lowering it a couple of notches also helps conserve hot water and guarantees hot water for a longer period. It also helps in preventing scalding and broken pipes.
- Replace the water heater – Old hot water systems are not as efficient compared to newer water heaters. Hot water systems aged over ten years old must be replaced to have hot water last longer.
- Insulate the water heater – During cold days, it is best to insulate the hot water system. Insulation also keeps the heat in so that there will be no need to waste energy from heating the water every couple of minutes.
- Install a low-flow showerhead – A low-flow showerhead saves water and makes hot water last longer. This showerhead makes water flow slower but still as effective and works like a normal showerhead. It is also quick and easy to install.
- Take shorter showers or go for a bath – Spending less time showering is another way to make hot water last longer. While it is a hard habit to break, taking shorter showers during weekends and splurging during the weekends is an easy first step. For those wanting an alternative, baths use about 2 gallons of hot water per minute. Opting for a bath helps hot water tanks be effective in keeping water warm for a longer period.
- Do laundry with cold water – Using cold water for laundry comes with several advantages. First, it prevents colour bleeding and fading. Second, it keeps clothes from shrinking. Lastly, it saves money as it does not require constant heating of water. Additionally, using cold water also saves a significant amount of energy.
- Avoid letting the faucet run when not in use – Keeping the faucet on wastes water. Our hot water plumbers recommend turning them off when not in use while brushing your teeth or shaving.
Contact the Most Experienced Hot Water Plumber in Sydney Now!
Optimised Plumbing Services have long been in the business of hot water system installation and repair. For over 20 years, our hot water plumbers have been helping locals with selecting the right water heater for their homes. Our team is also prepared to help keep these systems at their optimal state at all times. How can we be so confident about these promises? Each emergency plumbing service professional in our team has completed the required Certificate III in Plumbing course and apprenticeship.
These requirements from the NSW Fair Trading ensure only the most qualified plumbers in the state are working on plumbing systems and appliances. All of them can handle water heater needs in residential and commercial spaces. With this knowledge and over two decades of experience, we know that it is enough for us to deliver high-quality plumbing services that comply with The Plumbing Code of Australia and other related regulations. Contact Optimised Plumbing Services now to have the best hot water installation in Sydney today!
We are here on how to prepare the hot water system for Winter!