A badly blocked toilet can be a frustrating and unpleasant experience. While a plunger can often solve a minor blockage, a badly blocked toilet may require additional measures to unclog it. In this article, we will discuss how to unblock a badly blocked toilet.
1. Use a Plunger
The first and most common solution for a blocked toilet is to use a plunger. To do this, you should:
- Position the plunger over the toilet bowl drain.
- Apply downward pressure to the plunger to create suction.
- Continue plunging until the water begins to drain from the toilet bowl.
If the plunger is not working, you may need to try a different approach.
2. Use a Plumbing Snake
If the plunger is not working, you can try using a plumbing snake, also known as a drain auger. A plumbing snake is a long, flexible wire that can reach deep into the drain to break up any blockages. To use a plumbing snake, you should:
- Insert the snake into the toilet bowl drain.
- Turn the handle clockwise to advance the wire into the drain.
- Keep turning the handle until you feel resistance or the blockage breaks up.
- Slowly remove the snake from the drain.
3. Try Boiling Water
If the blockage is caused by a buildup of toilet paper, you can try pouring boiling water into the toilet bowl. To do this, you should:
- Boil a large pot of water.
- Carefully pour the boiling water into the toilet bowl.
- Wait for a few minutes and see if the water drains.
If the blockage remains, you may need to try another solution.
4. Use a Chemical Unblocker
If the above methods are not working, you can try using a chemical unblocker, also known as a drain cleaner. A chemical unblocker can dissolve blockages, but it can also damage pipes and harm the environment. To use a chemical unblocker, you should:
- Read the instructions carefully before using the product.
- Pour the product into the toilet bowl as directed.
- Wait for the recommended amount of time.
- Flush the toilet to see if the blockage has cleared.
Note: Chemical unblockers should only be used as a last resort and with caution.
5. Call a Professional Plumber
If none of the above methods work, it is best to call a professional plumber (like us!). Our plumbers have the experience and equipment to handle even the most stubborn blockages. We can also inspect your toilet and pipes to identify any underlying problems that may be causing the blockage.
A badly blocked toilet can be a frustrating and unpleasant experience. While a plunger can often solve a minor blockage, a badly blocked toilet may require additional measures to unclog it. You can try using a plumbing snake, boiling water, a chemical unblocker, or call Optimised Plumbing Services to handle the problem. We can also handle any type of blocked drain issue.
Related article: The Top 5 Causes of Blocked Drains and How to Prevent Them