A smelly drain is a common plumbing issue that we will all experience at one in our lives. Luckily there are a variety of methods to have your bad smells gone in a short amount of time. Here at Optimised Plumbing Services, we have over 15 years of experience in working with drainage and know the best ‘at home’ methods to stop the bad smells. Fixing your stinky drain can be relatively cost effective and quick if you know exactly the right steps to take to combat the smell.There are a small number of materials and steps to clean a smelly drain. The materials you will need are boiling water, baking soda and white vinegar. Pouring this solution down the drain can help remove the smell, as well as cleaning out minor blockages. However, if you have a larger blockage then, other plumbing steps will need to be carried out by a licensed plumber.
Causes of Smelly Drains
There are many different components that can result in smells from drains occurring:
If you regularly push food down your drain, it can get stuck and the food will then decompose. As a result, bacteria can be attracted to the food which is how the smells occur.
As moisture builds with your pipes, mold can grow. We recommend to every couple of months to pour down natural drain cleaning solutions to prevent this from occurring.
Clay joined with cement pipes, built before the 1980s, often can result in bad smells. This is because the pipes are more likely to break leading to blockages and sewage build up.
When tree roots enter pipes to then grow, it can quickly cause a blocked drain. This is more of a major blocked drain issue that will require the attention of a professional Sydney plumber.
These small flies can reproduce where there is a build-up of organic matter (such as food waste) in blocked drains. When many of the flies are present in the drain, terrible smells are likely to happen.
Solutions to Smelly Drains
Fixing smelly drains can be solved by using the supplies which you may already have within your home. The steps are simple and will get to work immediately removing the bad smell from your drains.
Using Baking Soda with Vinegar
The most effective way to remove smelly drains is by using baking soda and vinegar. This is because combined with boiling water, baking soda can easily remove lingering odors. Likewise, boiling water and vinegar neutralises the smell as it contains acetic acid. This solution will also remove other problems, like soap and it is also environmentally sustainable and cheap. Here is how to complete this simple method:
- Clear the area around your sink and pour ½ a cup of bicarb (baking) soda down the drain followed by ½ cup of white vinegar.
- Then plug your drain and let the natural cleaners sit for approximately 1 hour.
- The last step is to unplug your drain and pour a cup of boiling hot water down the drain.
Using Boiling Water and Vinegar
This method uses less materials but will most likely not be as effective as using both baking soda and vinegar. For more simple cases of smelly drains, this quicker method may be better for the situations. Follow the simple steps as listed:
- Pour vinegar mixed with half a pot of almost boiling water down into the drain
- Let the solution settle for a few minutes then have cold water poured down the drain
- Finish the steps by using more vinegar and hot water to flush the remaining gunk within the drain
Specifically Removing Mould
When the problem is with mould, the following steps can help with your situation:
- Make a paste from mixing baking soda with hot water
- Then with the paste, use a toothbrush as a tool for applying it onto the drain where there is mould. Have the paste settle there for about ten minutes
- With the same toothbrush, scrub the mould until it starts to disintegrate
- Then, have boiling water poured down into the drain
- After the boiling water has gone through, use a mixture of vinegar and baking soda to be then poured down the drain
How To Prevent Smells from Drains Occurring?
There are numerous steps and actions to take for making sure the drains in your home do not smell. Here are the plumbing maintenance actions to take which we highly recommend regularly doing:
- Clean your sinks garbage disposal, if you have one. Placing ice cubes regularly in it can help sharpen the blades and remove any grease within the disposal
- Ensure that food scraps, fats and oils are not pushed/ go down into the kitchen sink but rather placed into a bin
- Once a week pour boiling water down into the drain
- Once a month have the solution of vinegar, baking soda and hot water poured down the drain
- If the solution does not work, purchase stronger and targeted drain cleaning solutions or call a plumber
Professional Drain Cleaners Available 24/7
Optimised Plumbing Services is here to help all Sydney residents deal with smelly drains. We are fully licensed and are specialists with Blocked Drain concerns, often the cause for the stinky drain. Our experienced team understands all the effective methods in removing smelly drain issues which will leave your drain smelling fresh. Additionally, we will unblock the drain in no time. Learn more about some of our blocked drain removal techniques listed by the Department of Health.Moreover, our Emergency Plumber services cover all problems with drains, any other plumbing problem. We are available to each and every Sydney suburb and can be hired to work at any time. Call us now for the most professional and accurate results with removing smelly drains on 02 8074 1475, otherwise, email us at email@example.com.