Leaking taps are among the most common plumbing issues experienced in the majority of Aussie households. Leaving them running and not properly fixing them will result in higher than usual water bills and additional stress to your water system. In extreme cases, it can even result in flooding that affects other parts of your property. Due to these consequences, it is always best to immediately fix leaky taps as soon as you notice them.
Regardless as to whether you wish to seek a DIY fix or require professional plumbing assistance. Here at Optimised Plumbing Services we are always ready to extend a hand and to pass on some handy tips and tricks. Our team is on standby 24/7, has the skills to get the job done and is among the most preferred emergency plumbing service providers in Sydney.
What Are The Reasons Why Taps Constantly Run and How To Fix Them!
Several reasons could be behind why the tap is not shutting off. These factors can range from simple issues to complex ones that need the help of a well-trained professional. If you have been having trouble turning off a faucet, here are some common issues that could be behind it:
- The faucet’s handle is faulty– When the handle continuously spins without settling into one position, this is an indication that the handle is stripped. Handles are joined to stems with small treads making it easier to turn the handle. Due to wear and tear, these treads may corrode and strip out. Fixing this issue requires replacing both handles of the faucet. When the handle is difficult to remove from the faucet, a quick call to one of our emergency plumbers is all that’s needed to have it fixed.
- The handle’s stem needs a new washer – The washer distributes pressure from the screw to prevent it from loosening from constant use. Our plumbers recommend constant lubrication to prevent the washer from cracking or tearing. If it is suffering from wear and tear, it is best to immediately replace the washer.
- The handle’s seat needs replacement – The seat is a small part of the faucet that helps handle turning. Wear and tear is the usual reason for needing to replace the handle’s seat. Homeowners can replace the handle’s seat by themselves or have an expert handle the process.
Other Possible Issues Behind Taps Not Turning Off
The previously mentioned reasons are not the only thing causing problems in shutting off your faucets. The following are other factors that could be behind this plumbing issue:
- Leaking mixer taps – Mixer taps usually use ceramic cartridges. It is usually the problem when there’s leaking or the tap does not turn off. Replacing the damaged ceramic cartridge is the best resolution for this problem.
- Limescale buildup – A solution of lemon or vinegar and baking soda works best to remove the buildup of limescale on taps. Removing this buildup is done by attaching a cup of vinegar and baking soda solution to the spout of the tap for several hours. If this is not enough to remove the buildup, there are commercially available products that could help remove this problem.
What Is The Cost of Tap Repair?
Having a local Sydney plumber nearby to fix the issue significantly helps achieve the best resolution to any tap issue. While the amount of time a Sydney plumber spends fixing taps depends on which caused the issue, it commonly takes only a few minutes to repair a plumbing issue. However, the severity of the tap issue and replacement part availability significantly impacts the average repair time. The hourly rate of Sydney plumbers truly varies depending on the call out time, fee and hourly rate. Most plumbers charge on average approx between $50-165 for a call out fee, however this can vary depending on the factors mentioned previously.
Should I Fix the Tap Myself?
We recommend going with the DIY fix if your tap was recently installed or less than seven to ten years old. We also advise going DIY if it is a simple isolated issue that hasn’t affected other plumbing components within your house. .Even an untrained individual can do the repair and replacement without risking future issues
If the faucet is more than ten years old or there are several problems with the tap and flooding, handing the work over to an experienced plumber is the best way to permanently solve the issue. We also recommend replacing the old faucet with a new one, especially if numerous problems are already affecting it.
Choose the Best 24 Hour Plumber in Sydney Now!
Here at Optimised Plumbing Services, we understand how important time and money are for you and your family. These are the reasons why we always strive to deliver the best plumbing service to anyone, anytime and anywhere within Sydney. With over two decades of experience helping locals with their tap issues and other plumbing problems. Our team is composed of the most skilled 24 hour plumbing repair professionals in Sydney and can effectively deal with issues affecting faucets. Our team specialises in tap issues like noisy taps, stiff tap handles and leaky spouts, among other problems. We are also experienced in working with businesses with unique needs in their plumbing systems. Besides having tap repair experts, our 24hr emergency plumbers are also experienced and trained in fixing defective hot water systems, leaking showers, blocked drains and damaged pipes. Contact Optimised Plumbing Services now to have the most preferred plumber in Sydney on your doorsteps today!