Hair is the number one enemy of the shower drain. While a single strand is not enough to cause clogging, its accumulation can cause significant damage to the drain and eventually the whole plumbing system. But can an untrained individual do something with a blocked shower drain? Yes! Everyone can try out several easy do-it-yourself fixes to resolve the clogging.
If these fixes are not enough, our blocked drain specialists at Optimised Plumbing Services can help relieve the clogging. We have the experience, knowledge and tools to get things working back to normal in no time.
DIY Fixes for a Blocked Shower Drain
For homeowners with a clogged shower drain, several easy do-it-yourself are available to try. These fixes make use of readily available materials commonly found at home. Our blocked drain specialists recommend doing these DIY fixes for a blocked shower drain:
- Boiling water – Boiling water has the power to break down soap, grease and even accumulated fallen hair in the drain. When doing this fix, it is best to use a funnel or similar equipment to contain the hot water as it is being poured.
- Plunger – For those who were not still able to break down hair with boiling water, a plunger may help. However, it is only effective when accumulated hair is not that deep within the drain pipes.
- Baking soda and vinegar mixture – Homeowners looking for an eco-friendly solution may want to look at using the baking soda and vinegar mixture. This solution is the best environmental-friendly fix, but it is not as effective as commercially available solutions that contain chemicals in flushing down hair.
- Hook – Using a hook is one of the oldest methods in removing objects causing the blockage. This approach is best for hair and other stuck objects not reachable by hands but can be easily pulled out of the drain pipes. A wire hanger repurposed as a hook is one great and affordable way to remove hair from the shower drain.
- Plumber’s snake tool – Hair is usually stuck on a part of the shower drain. The plumbers’ snake tool is another cheap method to bring hair back up from the shower drain.
- Do it manually – When it is still impossible to remove accumulated hair, taking off the drain cover and doing it manually is the best way to go. This DIY fix is best for those who have an idea of where the clogging is happening. Manual removal also only applies to hair stuck in the part of the drain pipes easily reachable by hands.
- Commercially available products – If manual removal did not help, trying out commercially available products is the next step. Strong chemical cleaners are readily available at supermarkets and hardware stores. All of them are formulated to break down factors blocking the shower drain. However, blocked drain plumbers recommend practising caution when using these products. While they are effective in relieving clogs, they are too strong that they could also cause damage to the drain pipes.
When these DIY solutions are not enough to remove the clogging, it is best to reach out to a trusted and experienced plumber. These professionals have the experience and knowledge to handle all issues concerning shower drains and other parts of the plumbing system.
Other Reasons for the Shower Drain Not Draining
Hair is not the only reason behind clogging in the shower drain. However, other factors could also contribute to having a blocked shower drain. The following are other reasons responsible for the blockage in this drain:
- Foreign objects – Hair, soap and children’s toys are some objects clogging the shower drain. A wire hanger turned into a hook is the best DIY fix to remove whatever stuck foreign object is in the drain pipes.
- Sediment buildup – Due to minerals and other substances found in water, it is unavoidable for shower drains not to have sediment buildup in the long run. For those with galvanised pipes, rust is another factor causing clogging. If rusting is behind the problem, it is best to work with an experienced blocked drain repair team to remove the sediment and rusts.
- Broken pipes – Pipes will weaken, crack and break, especially when they have been in use for a long time. These issues also contribute to clogging the shower drain. With these cracks, it is easier for hair to get stuck in the pipes.
- Bad pipe installation – Improper installation causes a lot of problems. Most of the time, this factor stems from a homeowner improperly doing a DIY fix on the shower drain. It frequently happens when the property owner does not understand the process and technique that comes with repairing a blocked shower drain.
How to Inspect the Drain?
When there’s difficulty in identifying the location of the clogging, what should be the next step? Reaching out to a highly skilled and trusted blocked drain specialist should be any homeowner’s next move. At Optimised Plumbing Services, we have blocked drain plumbers who can help locate and identify which is causing the problem. We offer a CCTV drain inspection service to make things easier to fix. This service makes use of a small camera to visualise and locate where the blockage is happening. By having an idea of the location and which is causing the clogging, it will be easier to relieve a blocked shower drain.
Experience the Top Blocked Drain Repair in Sydney Today!
At Optimised Plumbing Services, we have seen all kinds of clogged drains throughout over 20 years in business. Whether it is in a residential or commercial property, our team’s skills made sure we can resolve the factors causing these problems. Our confidence in guaranteeing high-quality blocked drain repair comes from the expertise of our blocked drain specialists. Each member of our team has completed the requirements set by NSW Fair Trading. By undergoing these requirements and gaining years of experience, we are confident we can deliver an unclogging service that complies with The Plumbing Code of Australia and other related regulations. Contact Optimised Plumbing Services now to have Sydney’s top plumber fix your blocked drains today!