Using bleach and hot water to help clear a blocked toilet is one way to handle the clog. Bleach is an effective way to deal with blocked toilet drains as it is a dilute solution of sodium hypochlorite and also contains a high chlorine concentration. Using bleach by itself or mixing it with boiling water are effective ways to unclog a toilet. Optimised Plumbing Services is here with our professional plumbers to reliable any Blocked Drain issue, including clogged toilets.
Bleach and hot water can be used to unclog a blocked toilet by breaking down and disinfecting waste and blockages. Pouring hot water and bleach to fix the toilet drain blockage often provides a simple and effective solution to the problem. With the high concentration of chlorine and sodium hypochlorite as the active ingredient, bleach is an affordable blocked drain cleaner.
Why Should I Use Bleach to Unclog a Toilet?
The main benefits of using bleach as a method to clear a clog inside a toilet are:
- Bleach is affordable and is often already present inside of the home
- The solution will remove the waste but also destroy any mildew or other contaminants that have grown inside the drainage system
- Because bleach will remove contaminants it will also kill the smell and also help prevent the chance of them growing back
- As well as clearing the blockage bleach will also remove any stains in the toilet bowl or in the pipes
- Some bleach products will contain additional ingredients to allow the toilet to smell fresh after using it
What are Some Safety Precautions with Using Bleach as a Drain Blockage Removal?
It is important to handle bleach safely especially when using it to clear a blockade toilet. It is strongly advised that protective gloves and glasses are used during the toilet blockage removal. Reading the packaging and label of the bleach is important to know how to utilise the product. Reading the instructions will also help indicate if it is safe to use in the toilet and on the toilet seat.
It is also advised to not mix bleach with other types of cleaning products and drain cleaners. This includes products with alcohol, hydrogen, vinegar and other chemicals because a chemical reaction may occur and can cause hazardous gases to form.
How to Use Bleach and Hot Water to Clear a Blocked Toilet?
There are two methods of unclogging toilets with bleach, one using just bleach and one using bleach and water.
- Ensure all protective equipment is put on, towels are around the toilet in case of anything spilling and the room is well ventilated
- Pour one to two cups of bleach into the toilet bowl, the amount poured will depend on how large the bowl is
- Allow the bleach to sit inside the toilet bowl for 10 to 15 minutes
- After the time has passed flush the toilet, two or three times if needed, and see if the clog has been dealt with
Bleach with Hot Water
- Make sure the room is ventilated with the fan on if possible and that protective gear is worn
- Pour two cups of bleach into the toilet and let it sit for around 10 minutes
- After the time has passed it is time for hot water to be poured into the toilet bowl and have it half full, wait around 5 to 7 minutes
- Flush the toilet after the minutes have passed and see if the clog has been dealt with
What are Other Ways to Unclog a Toilet?
If the clog is too hard for bleach to remove or if other methods are favoured then here are some other alternative and effective methods at dealing with blocked toilets:
- Plunger – a plunger can be effective at grabbing blockages, such as toilet paper, that are closer to the toilet bowl
- Wire coat hanger – a wire coat hanger or item that can grab surface level clogs, similar to a plunger, is an affordable method to try
- Baking soda and vinegar – other solutions over bleach is using baking soda with vinegar to target blockages further down the plumbing
- Dish soap with hot water – soap and hot water can also be used to combat toilet blockages or help soften the clog for other methods
- Plumber – at times relying on a fully qualified plumber is the best method to target and properly handle toilet clogs
For more information on how to handle a toilet blockage, our blog goes into more detail about the different methods.
Reliable Blocked Toilet and Blocked Drain Services
Here at Optimised Plumbing Services our team is here to provide professional assistance with blocked drains and blocked toilets. We have over 20 years of experience dealing with clogs and will know the exact tools and techniques to utilise. Our plumbers work safely during the task, can work on any toilet and will make certain the blockage is cleared fast.
We will operate with blocked drains and toilets across all of Sydney, including Sutherland Shire, Hills District and Eastern Suburbs. We also offer professional Emergency Plumber services for us to operate on any task at any time, such as pipe relining and roof leak repairs.
For the best blocked drain Sydney services and effective help with blocked toilets – trust Optimised Plumbing Services!